In The Hospital
A Team Approach To Care
Palliative care is a unique speciality that utilizes a team approach and partners with patients and families
with serious illness to ensure symptom management, comfort, and quality of life.
In conjunction with the patient’s other doctors, the Arkansas Palliative Care team can provide an extra layer of support for patients, of any age, with serious illness - whatever the diagnosis, at any stage,
along with curative treatment options.
Consider Palliative Care In the Hospital When:
• There have been 3 or more hospitalizations or ER visits in the last 6 months for the same diagnosis.
• Prolonged hospital or ICU stay without evidence of improvement.
• Difficult to control physical or emotional symptoms
• Admitted from a skilled nursing facility.
• The patient, family or physician disagree about medical decisions, resuscitation preferences, nonoral feeding and hydration, prognosis, or goals of care.
• Patient, family or physician request for information on hospice eligibility or services.
• Declining functional or cognitive ability.